Honoring Those Who Played Here Before Us While Developing The Future….
The Johnstown Jets were a professional ice hockey team from Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The Jets were founded in the Eastern Amateur Hockey League for the 1950–51 season, playing at the newly constructed Cambria County War Memorial Arena. The Jets won consecutive EHL championships in 1951–52 and 1952–53.When the EAHL suspended operations in 1953, the Jets transferred to the International Hockey League, were they played two seasons. Johnstown were Turner Cup finalists in 1953–54, losing 4 games to 2, to the Cincinnati Mohaw ks.In 1955, the Jets joined the Eastern Hockey League (a league founded from the EAHL), and won three consecutive EHL championships in 1959–60, 1960–61 and 1961–62. Johnstown remained in the league until its demise in 1973.The Jets then joined the new North American Hockey League in 1973. Dick Roberge coached the Johnstown to the Lockhart Cup championship 1974–75, defeating the Broome Dusters. That season’s playoff run included the Carls on brothers, Jeff, Jack and Steve, who became the basis for the Hanson Brothers in the movie Slap Sho t. Jeff and Steve Carlson portrayed their fictional selves in the movie, while former Jet Dave Hanson portrayed Jack. The Jets played four seasons total in the NAHL before the league folded in 1977. The team itself folded in the offseason, when the Johnstown flood of 1977 that damaged the arena’s ice making equipment.
Johnstown Jets Championship Accomplishments:
- 4 Time Eastern Hockey League Regular Season Champions – 1950-51, 1951-52, 1959-60, 1963-64
- 4 Time Eastern Hockey League Division Champions – 1950-51, 1951-52, 1959-60, 1963-64
- North American Hockey League Division Champions – 1975-76
- 5 Time Eastern Hockey League Playoff Champions -1951-52, 1952-53, 1959-60, 1960-61, 1961-62
- North American Hockey League Playoff Champions – 1975-76
Notable Johnstown Jets Alumni:
The Jets history can boast 46 former members that have moved on to the National Hockey League. Some of the more notable names include:
- Bruce Boudreau – Head Coach, Washington Capitals and winner of 2008 Jack Adams Trophy for NHL Coach of the Year.
- Andy Brown – Goaltender, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Steve Carlson – Portrayed Steve Hanson of the Hanson Brothers in the motion picture “Slap Shot”
- Dave Hanson – Portrayed Dave Hanson of the Hanson Brothers in the motion picture “Slap Shot”
- Galen Head – Lead Bishop McCort High School to four consecutive PA State Hockey Titles in the 1990’s
- Paul Holmgren – General Manager, Philadelphia Flyers
- Eddie Johnston – Sr. Advisor of Hockey Operations, Pittsburgh Penguins; drafted Mario Lemieux in the 1st Round and 1st Overall in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft
- Don Simmons – Former NHL Goaltender, owner of Don Simmons Sports